We cannot save them all - but we can try.
Victorian Dog Rescue and Resource Group Inc (VicDRG) is a not for profit organisation whose purpose is to decrease the number of dogs killed in Victorian pounds each year. Nearly all these dogs could be rehomed and end up in pounds and shelters through no fault of their own. Their misfortune in many cases is they have not been valued by their family and they have not had returned to them the love and loyalty they have given.
Instead many dogs are dumped unceremoniously in the pound. Common reasons are - I’m having a baby, my mother has gone into a nursing home and can’t keep the dog, I’m moving house and can’t take the dog with me - and so on.
VicDRG tries to help these unfortunate animals in different ways such as:
- actively running a rehoming service for dogs rescued from killed in pounds
- promoting responsible pet ownership
- providing advice to members of the public on the resources available in Victoria for pet rescue
- issuing a newsletter to advise on different aspects of pet rescue and ownership
- Working with local pounds and shelters to minimise the numbers of dogs killed
- developing and encouraging networks of communication for people involved in rescue and rehoming dogs
No dog will be rehomed by us without being desexed, microchipped and vaccinated.
Victorian Dog Rescue & Resource Group Inc. is a registered not-for-profit charity that has been endorsed by the Australian Tax Office as a Deductible Gift Recipient. All donations over $2 are tax deductible for Australian taxpayers.
Calendar 2015 & Christmas Cards Available Now!
The calendars are available on the 7 September.
Every month features our gorgeous rescue dogs, photographed by talented Herald-Sun photographer Manny Cifra. The calendars make great Christmas presents, and help to spread the word about our vital rescue work.
Again great savings in this year’s Entertainment Book!
We are once again selling Entertainment Books as a fundraiser. If you have bought one in the past you will know what great value they are, if you’re not familiar with them check out their website to get an idea of all the great savings that are to be made. 20% of the sale of each book goes to Victorian Dog Rescue.
Help VicDRG by buying the 2014/2015 Entertainment Book.
AniMeals – Our New Venture
We are very excited by our AniMeals program which aims to feed the pets of financially stressed people in the Bayside and Glen Eira community and very grateful for the funding from the Bureau of Animal Welfare. This is a six-month pilot program. It is great to be able to give back to the community that supports us, and we hope this will be the beginning of a bigger scheme to help more companion animals live at home as long as possible, with assistance to feed the pets and eventually other services available.
They may be getting on a bit, they may have lost that cute puppy look, but they still are a pup at heart and have a lot to give - unconditional love, companionship, loyalty, warmth and a good laugh every now and then.
Crystal, a 12 year old Small Female Sheltie, and her friend Dottie are looking for a special home where they can rest their weary bones and continue life’s journey together.» Please visit Crystal's page
Charlie, a 10 year old medium female Labrador x, is a beautiful, well- mannered girl. She her toys and gets along famously with her doggy friends. » Please visit Charlie's page
Cookie, a small 12 year old female Cavalier King Charles Spaniel x Poodle, is a pretty girl with a sweet temperament. » Please visit Cookie's page
- Celebrity Arnie And His Incredible Survival.
Arnie has bounced back after 25 days down a mine shaft. Skinnier but still the same happy boy. We are amazed but ecstatic. Arnie clearly did not give up, but fought for his life. Arnie has had so many counts against him, born with a deformed paw, passed from hand to hand, survived Stawell pound, and now to be bouncing back after this ordeal.
Read the articles published in the Herald Sun, » Heraldd Sun
and The Stawell Times News, » http://www.stawelltimes.com
- How can people treat their animals like this... » read more?
- Look at Chloe now... » read more
- Warning about back yard breeders... » read more
- Zed's warning about grass seeds...» read Zed's story
- Moorabbin Kingston Leader website: www.moorabbin-kingston-leader.whereilive.com.au/
- Photos of VicDRG dogs playing together in the off leash bush park at Briars, Mt Martha... » read more
- What happens to your pet(s) if you can't care for them anymore... » read more
Read about the amazing story of how Spike went missing and then found again by Donna and Kerry. » read more
- Puppies Abandoned. Please don’t treat these lives as you would rubbish – as disposable items... » read the sad story