Breed: Pointer X
Location: Dixon’s Creek
Please note: Sarge is available for foster with a view or adoption.
Sarge would love to be rehomed with a friendly medium to large female dog.
Meet Sarge! A beautiful boy with a big heart, big emotions and he would love a big space on your sofa, bed and in your life! Chilling on the sofa with his head on your lap is bliss for him. Sarge has been crate trained and is happy in his crate, especially with his antler, overnight.
Sarge loves company – people, dogs, cats. We cannot emphasise enough how much he loves people and we agree with his first carer that he is one of the most loveable dogs we have had in our care. Your heart will melt as he leans gently into you for more pats.
He is not suitable to be an apartment dog as he loves his zoomie time in the backyard. He has had a bad start, being surrendered to be killed as a puppy because his eating of everything he saw caused him to have health issues. (He has nearly grown out of this pica). It’s very unfortunate that he didn’t have training as a puppy as even though he is keen to learn obviously jumping, manners and so on are much easier when small. He is a highly excitable puppy still and because of this we currently have him on Trazadone which settles him just enough. He knows when he sees his tablet container to come over and sit to have his tablet.
- Everyone he meets tells him he is beautiful, but we are trying very hard not to let his ego get too big.
- He is very well house trained and will let you know he wants to go out by giving a big bark. No accidents for this big guy!
- Sarge has a big heart and a big personality. He also loves other dogs, and is working on how to greet them respectfully as his size and enthusiasm can be overwhelming. He would suit living with another medium to large dog who can help him learn how to interact but even though he has lived with other dogs, at present he does get far too excited with dogs he does not know, especially large dogs. He is better with small dogs and had made friends with his neighbouring greyhounds. He walks well on a halti until he sees a dog and gets too excited, especially if on the same path as him. He also loves cats, but wants to play with them, so any house cats should be dog savvy.
- He loves to play, and as a big puppy will be best suited to teenagers or adult only household.
- He has a big capacity to learn, and has mastered sit, stay, come, drop, up, down, wait and cross. He travels well in the car and now knows to wait to get in and out (he wasn’t familiar with this concept when he met his first assessor and jumped out and bowled her over with his friendship).
- He is working on staying in his place until guests come inside and say hi (building up to this as he gets very excited when people come to visit
- He is not a generally nervy dog and even thunderstorms don’t faze him.
Oh that excitement and exuberance…for someone with an inclination to train a dog Sarge will be so rewarding. And of course the focus on learning skills will help him mature into the dog he should always have been.
Not so big things:
- The length of time he can be left on his own – Sarge dearly loves to be with his people and gets very stressed left on his own. He will be best suited to a home where he will have company almost all of the time. It has been difficult to work on this during lockdown. Or another dog may settle him. His carer was leaving him for 90 minutes without any stress on is part although of course his stay in kennels may set him back a little.
- His boredom threshold – Sarge is smart and would benefit from continued training, exercise and mental stimulation; otherwise he gets bored and likes to chew to amuse himself and keep himself busy.
- There are rumours he can scale high fences but he didn’t shown any signs of that at his foster home.
If Sarge sounds like he can fill the big hole in your life please send through an application.
Adults/teenage home only.
Thank you to Heather of Brown Dog Studio for the fantastic photos of Sarge.
Microchip Number: 953010004914747
Source Number: RE120211
Medical Notes: Sarge has food allergies and is on a special diet.
All our dogs are desexed, C5 vaccinated with intranasal, microchipped, wormed, and flea treated. All necessary vetwork such as dentals, surgery, eye treatment are also carried out. We are no longer heartworm testing as we have not had one positive test since we began in 2006. If a dog comes to us on heartworm treatment this is continued.